The leaves contain soluble oxalate crystals, with less of the crystals being prevalent in the stalk. When ingested in large enough quantities in small animals, it can result in poisoning in dogs, cats, & even humans. Use a process of elimination to identify the animal eating your rhubarb and then take action to protect young, tender stalks. This will also help the body to flush out the toxins. Cooked rhubarb stems (the part we put into pies) isn’t poisonous for dogs, but may cause gastric upset as it isn’t part of their usual diet; all leaves of the rhubarb plant are poisonous and may cause symptoms of weakness, vomiting, diarrhoea, excessive drooling, tremors and blood in the urine as well as kidney failure in severe cases. Large quantities of this toxin usually leave permanent damage to the kidneys. Pain relief may be given through the IV if your dog appears overly distressed and uncomfortable. This sudden drop in calcium can have it can have a destructive effect on the kidneys. This irritation, combined with an unpleasant taste, usually prevents animals from doing more than sampling the plant. Once there, intravenous fluid treatment will be most likely given to prevent dehydration and help support the kidneys. In certain circumstances, your veterinarian will recommend giving your dog an appropriate pain reliever or antihistamine as well. Rhubarb is a common plant grown for edible consumption, and is also known as the pie plant. Raccoons may also occasionally eat rhubarb. If possible, bring a piece of the plant with you when you visit the clinic. Rhubarb stalks contain oxalic acid, which is toxic when eaten in large amounts. Calcium oxalate is a calcium salt of oxalic acid which produces numbness or irritation to the tissues it comes in contact with. Rhubarb leaves are very high in oxalic acid, which quickly causes kidney failure in humans. This is done to uncover any concurrent diseases or disorders, to confirm the type of toxin, and to assess renal function. Most pets are a lot smaller than humans, so it takes very few rhubarb leaves … The swelling may cause breathing difficulty if the airway is blocked. You may want to offer your dog something cool to eat or drink as well, to ease the pain until you are able to make contact with your veterinarian. In those mild cases, rinsing the mouth area may be sufficient in treating the discomfort. If in doubt, visit your Veterinarian. Evaluation by a veterinarian is always the wisest choice when dealing with the ingestion of a potentially toxic plant. University of Illinois Extension; Rhubarb; Ron Wolford, et al. However, the other minor effects of the crystals as confined to the mouth area usually dissipate within twelve to twenty-four hours from the initial exposure. Hothouse rhubarb is usually brighter red, tenderer and sweeter-tasting than outdoor rhubarb. If any plant material from the leaves is swallowed, the irritation can extend to the throat and down the gastrointestinal tract, causing swelling and severe pain. Prognosis for dogs affected by sampling very small amounts of the plants containing the soluble calcium oxalate crystals is usually quite good. Most often used in sweet applications, it’s a sour vegetable that looks like crimson celery. Other types of plants that contain soluble calcium oxalate crystals can include: All parts of the rhubarb plant contain the calcium oxalate crystals that cause the distress. Ensure that young children and household pets don't consume the leaves. On those occasions, your canine companion will require an emergency visit to the veterinarian’s office to have his health condition checked. Obviously, there was something in the smell of the rhubarb that the cat probably loved, but was overstimulated by it. All Rights Reserved. And, if you grow rhubarb in the garden, keep Fido away from the patch. she did not consume much but is showing symptoms of pain and lethargic . If an antihistamine was not previously recommended, it might be administered as an intramuscular injection at this time. If the airway is dangerously swollen your canine may need to be kept under observation at the office until the swelling subsides. In some cases, such as when the dog swallows the rhubarb leaves without chewing first, symptoms can take up to two hours to appear. Learn which plants thrive in your Hardiness Zone with our new interactive map! The simplest way to keep marauding deer and raccoons out of the rhubarb is to build a wooden frame that fits over the rhubarb plant. However, some pets will work past the pain as they chew and on rare occasions, a dog may eat larger amounts of plant material. Initial symptoms of exposure to the calcium oxalate crystals from rhubarb ingestion will present immediately, making identification of the plant helpful to the diagnosis. You would have to eat several pounds of rhubarb leaves to reach a toxic level—so don’t feel like you need to toss the whole batch if tiny leaf scraps end up in your rhubarb muffins. Rheum rhabarbarium, commonly referred to as rhubarb, is a herbaceous perennial with fleshy red stalks and large triangular leaves. However, when ingested in large enough quantities in small animals, it can result in … my dog ate some rhubarb last night.

Prs S2 Singlecut Standard Review, Brooklyn Restaurants Delivery, Petite Maison Products, Smoked Salmon Dip Without Dill, Hazelnut Brownies Nigella, Brush On Enamel Paint For Metal, Fisher Healthcare Address, Spanish Rice Balls, Fisher Brand Logo, Big Bear Lake Water Temperature,